Monday, April 30, 2007

Miss Outdoorsy

I am not a girl who loves to hike, jog, or play the rugged life for that matter. I would be the first one to object to a camping trip. If argued into it, I might think over it twice or maybe thrice. But most likely, I’d pass up altogether. Call me vain and squeamish, but I just don’t think I’m cut up for rough pursuits such as long hikes, camping, mountain climbing, etc. I am not even enticed to try white water rafting.

I enjoy nature but not too much I wanna live for it. I admire people who take camping in the woods seriously, or those who jog even in the dead of winter. What I like best about nature is the magnificent scenery. And I do enjoy little walks in the park, and picnics in the park, or just plainly hanging out watching the world go by.

Last Saturday afternoon, I went with the hubby for a run in the park adjacent to the building where we live. It was a beautiful day, the sun was out and there was a gentle breeze. The hubby was itching to start his exercise, his get-an-active-lifestyle-oath. So we went through the back parking lot into the wooded trail along the creek, past the wooden little bridge into the park. We ran (hubby) and walked (me) two rounds around the park. The grasses and trees in the park are in its full spring glory that day, so it was a wonderful sight. Very relaxing. It felt good, I discovered. I might go with him the next time he goes for a run/walk.

Sunday afternoon was also spent outdoors. We took the mother in law to the Arlington National Cemetery. The weather was a bit warm, but just enough to enjoy the leisurely walks around the place. We visited the Kennedy gravesite, and then to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier where we witnessed a ceremonial laying of the wreath and the notable ceremonial changing of the guards. The last time the hubby and I witnessed the ceremony was on a rather cold November day last year. Taps was played on bugle (trumpet) at the wreath ceremony. I think taps is one of the two most moving musical piece of all times. The other one, in my opinion, is the wedding march. The two are completely in contrast (taps convey “end”, while the wedding march denotes “beginning”), however, they connect in the manner of stirring the emotions.

Maybe I shall have more luck being Miss Outdoorsy this summer.

No comments: