Wednesday, March 29, 2006

recipe no.1

I like experimenting with new recipes. It's a newfound joy and hobby :) After perusing over numerous cookbooks and watching too many cooking shows, I learned that following word for word any recipe is not a good idea. All you need to do is follow your instinct and have good judgment. And the best lesson of all- don't hesitate to experiment.

I started to try my hand around the kitchen in 1999. And I could proudly say, my relationship with cooking have grown steadily and progressively over the years. I had too many trials-and-errors over my cooking. I used to be the kind of girl who vowed never to cook, or at least learn how to cook. However, David changed my mind about cooking, and I have been happier ever since. Now, I am a happy cook! Sometimes when I'm stressed out about something, I try to whip something up to 'keep my mind preoccupied'.

The more fun way of cooking is to use whatever is in hand, and create something from it. So let me share a recipe I made recently:

*ingredients*
1 cup pork strips (thinly sliced)
1 cup Chinese mushroom (soaked in water, sliced)
minced ginger (around 1 tbsp)
broccoli florets (around 1 cup)
soy sauce (3 tbsp), mixed with
1 tbsp light brown sugar
garlic powder and ground pepper to taste
1 tbsp. canola oil
sesame oil

*cooking directions*
saute minced ginger in 1 tbsp canola oil
add pork strips, stir fry for around 3 mins (or until meat is done)
add mushroom
add soy sauce with brown sugar
simmer for around 4 mins, or until liquid is almost dried up.
while it's simmering,
add broccoli florets (cover while it is simmering)
add a dash of garlic powder and pepper to season
add a few drops of sesame oil just when you're about to
turn the heat off, be sure to mix well.
serve with rice

No comments: