Monday, May 21, 2007

of caves and a bell

The other Sunday, we visited the Luray Caverns in Luray, Virginia. It was my first time to be inside a cave and to be “16 floors” below the earth’s surface. I tend to be claustrophobic, but the Luray Caverns was huge inside and it was well-lit for the tourists, so my fear for confined places and darkness never cropped up. Plus there were lots of guided tours that went on inside, so it wasn’t exactly like going deep into hell’s deep alone ;) And too, there were kids who chose to cry and scream and shriek every time the guide gives a speech about stalactite this and stalagmite that, which made it harder, with her thick redneck accent, to understand what she was saying!

But I was impressed with the cavern. It was pretty amazing, with its rock formations, the clearest pool of water I’ve ever seen which reflected perfectly the stalactites, the mazes and crevasses and everything inside. It was a great nature’s creation. It was like under Pluto’s lair, yet, not that scary.

And to continue on with our touristy romps with my mom-in-law, we took her to Philadelphia on Monday. The weather was fine, and so it was an enjoyable day to be in the historic city. First, we had lunch at this Malaysian restaurant called the Banana Leaf. I had the salted fish fried rice- one of the many things I miss from home. Salted fish fried rice, we meet again! David had a ferociously spicy prawn noodles bowl, which he labored (seriously) to finish. He gave up at half-bowl, and settled to eat the chicken satay with peanut sauce.

After lunch, we went to see the Liberty Bell and the Independence Hall. Pictures here. Pictures there. Pictures everywhere. And then it was time to go home. We actually had a glimpse of the famous Rittenhouse Square, but never had time to explore it. Next time, next time.
I felt we’ve spent more time driving than actually spending time in those famous tourist spots. I was so tired. Sooo tired.

No comments: